This is an easy recipe that everyone will love! It’s perfect for Easter and any other special occasion in spring. My family devoured them in only 2 days! The combination of chocolate and lemon, which are an unlikely pairing, makes a unique flavor that tastes amazing! The trick to this recipe is making sure the cupcake is moist. The batter should look just as mine did: not too runny, but not too doughy. Also, if your buttercream is too runny, just add more confectioners’ sugar.
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate
- 9 tbsp of butter, softened
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 7 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 12-hole muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, and heat until melted, then let cool slightly.
- Place the butter, sugar flour, eggs, and cocoa in a large bowl and beat together until the mixture is just smooth. Beat in the melted chocolate. Spoon the batter into paper liners.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- To make the buttercream, place the butter and confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and beat to combine. Beat in the lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Pipe the buttercream over the cupcakes.