I made this when I had relatives over and they really enjoyed it. It’s such an easy recipe and the berries are perfect for a spring and summer occasion. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any raspberries to use, but it still came out great. It’s like a mix of blueberry muffins and corn muffins in a cake!
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 8-inch round cake pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; grease. Arrange 1-1/2 cups berries in bottom of pan; set side. In bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, basil, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined; pour over berries. Spread evenly.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run knife around edge of the pan to loosen sides. Invert. Remove parchment. Top with remaining berries, basil and mint. Makes 10 servings.