This pie is one of my favorites! Although it takes a good amount of time and effort, it tastes and looks amazing. I love making it in the summer because all the berries are in season. Everyone loves this pie.
- 2 cups pitted sweet cherries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pastry for a double crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, gently combine cherries and blueberries. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and nutmeg; stir into fruit. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Cover edge loosely with foil.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.