This is such a cool recipe! The cupcakes are made to look like spaghetti and meatballs, which they really do, but are actually delicious cupcakes. I love making sweets look like real food!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated; scrape down sides of bowl, and beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.
- Add in a very tiny drop of yellow if the buttercream doesn’t look like a pasta color.
- Put the frosting into a piping bag with a very tiny tip and drizzle on the frosting over the cupcakes to make it look like spaghetti. Make sure to pile it high and let some of it go over the sides of the cupcakes.
Meatballs and Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sugar strawberry preserves
- hazelnut chocolates (Ferrero Rocher), unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons grated white chocolate plus additional chunk for garnish
- Toss the hazelnut chocolates with the strawberry preserves in a medium bowl to coat. Spoon some of the preserves on top the cupcakes. Place some hazelnut chocolates on top of the cupcakes, and one on the platter. Top cupcakes with the remaining strawberry preserves.
- Sprinkle the grated white chocolate over the cupcakes.