These cupcakes are completely packed to the top with decoration and frosting! They taste absolutely amazing and really look like a cream-cheese bagel with lox, which is one of my favorites. So, mixing a delicious cupcake with the look of one my favorite foods? I think yes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated; scrape down sides of bowl, and beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Entenmann’s soft’ees donuts
- poppy seeds
- orange, yellow, and red air heads
- 4 strands green licorice twists (thinly sliced)
- Add frosting onto top of each cupcake.
- Cut donuts across the side (like bagel) and press tops of donuts into poppy seeds. Smear inside of each doughnut with frosting.
- Squish together the orange, yellow, and red air heads until you get a salmon color. Take a bit of more or less and experiment around. Cut the fake salmon into slices and make imprints with knife to make it look like real salmon.
- Fold the fake salmon to make it look like real salmon and place inside doughnut. Scatter a few licorice pieces over the top of the salmon on the doughnut.
- Put the doughnut, filled with the frosting, airheads, and licorice twists, on top of the cupcake.