The classic, easy, and delicious rice krispie treat is taken to a whole new level with just 1 ingredient: food coloring! This is perfect for Halloween parties and everyone knows the homemade rice krispie treat is better than the store bought one. You can cut it into squares or triangles, either way it’s great for fall.
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 12 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt, divided
- 9 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Yellow and red food coloring
- Lightly coat a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons unsalted butter over medium. Add 4 cups miniature marshmallows and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt; stir until melted. Stir in 3 cups crisp puffed-rice cereal and immediately transfer to pan. Coat an offset spatula with cooking spray and firmly press mixture into an even layer.
- Rinse saucepan. Repeat step 1 twice: To second batch, add orange zest and enough yellow and red food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture orange before adding cereal, then press into pan. To third batch, add enough yellow food coloring to tint marshmallow mixture yellow. Press third batch into pan.
- Let set 2 hours (or overnight). Run a small knife around edges of pan and invert loaf onto a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut loaf into 10 slices. Cut each slice in half crosswise.
- Using your hands, gently mold each treat into a candy-corn shape, or leave as desired.