It’s finally that time of the year: Christmas time! This is my all-time favorite time of the year. The Christmas season is filled with so much baking, snow, joy, gathering of friends and family, hot chocolate, and more. This time of year is when I bake more than any other time! I really hope you enjoy my upcoming Christmas recipes, as they are some of my favorites, and most of them really cute. This one is super easy and fun to make with kids. You can make the cupcakes from a box and use the frosting from a container or you can use the homemade vanilla cupcake recipe and butter-cream I will provide. The decorations are only three ingredients and come out so cute! By the way, you can’t really see it in the picture, but don’t forget to add a marshmallow on top for the end of the Santa hat!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons red decorator sugar
- 48 chocolate chips (or brown m&ms)
- 24 red cinnamon candies
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows (about 144)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until incorporated; scrape down sides of bowl, and beat in vanilla.
Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes. Sprinkle top 1/3 of each cupcake with about 1/8 teaspoon decorator sugar to form Santa’s hat.
- To make each Santa’s face, place chocolate chips for eyes and cinnamon candy for nose. Cut 2 marshmallows in half lengthwise; arrange to form rim of hat. Cut 4 marshmallows in half crosswise; cover lower part of cupcake to form beard.