So I know I’ve NEVER posted anything on my blog that’s not sweet or not a dessert, but I decided to try something different. (Don’t worry it does involve a little baking and it’s technically a mini pie.) This mac and cheese recipe is unlike anything I’ve ever eaten. I love mac and cheese and this is 10x better than any kraft, panera, or even homemade mac and cheese. It is extra cheesy and both crispy and soft. I really hope you try this out because I highly recommend it! And I never make things that aren’t desserts so this has to be pretty good!
- 1 and 1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed (I used one whole sleeve and used my food processor to crush the crackers)
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated and divided (I used yellow)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 and 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Generously spray 8 cups of your muffin pan with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine the crushed Ritz crackers, 1 cup of the shredded white cheddar cheese, and the melted butter, mixing well until the mixture holds together and resembles coarse sand.
4. Divide the mixture among the 8 muffin cups and, using your fingers or the back of a spoon, firmly press the crust into the bottoms and up the sides of each muffin cup.
5. In another large bowl, combine the cooked (and still hot!) macaroni with 1/2 cup of the shredded white cheddar and the butter, mixing well.
6. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, and red pepper flakes, mixing well.
7. Add the egg/milk mixture to the cooked macaroni, mixing until all the ingredients are melted and smooth.
8. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the macaroni mixture into each muffin cup (you will probably have a little leftover macaroni-I did. Save this and bake it separately, if desired.)
9. Top each muffin cup with the remaining white cheddar.
10. Bake the mac and cheese pies until lightly golden on top, about 20-25 minutes.
11. Let cool slightly before removing from the muffin pan.