Yes…once again I am incorporating one of my favorite salty snacks into baking! How can anything get better than chocolate covered pretzels? Trust me, this cupcake makes it possible. The frosting has pieces of pretzels in it, making it crunchy and the perfect balance between salty and sweet! It’s my favorite combination. My friend Alanna (who is always sending me awesome recipes), sent this one to me and we knew we had to try it out right away. My little brothers especially enjoyed it as well!
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
Ingredients for Buttercream:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ground pretzels (about 2 cups whole pretzels)
Recipe for Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in eggs, milk, and vegetable oil until combined. Carefully stir in boiling water, mixing until combined and batter has thinned.
3. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Recipe for Buttercream:
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and powdered sugar.
- Stir in vanilla extract, then fold in the ground pretzels.
- Since the pretzels really thicken up the buttercream, don’t try to pipe the frosting. Instead, scoop the frosting on top of the cupcake and spread into a cute little mound. (If you want to heavily frost your cupcakes, like in the photos, you’ll need to double this recipe. If you’re going for a simple spread, this is enough buttercream to cover all 24 cupcakes.)
- Top with chocolate covered pretzels, if desired.