Okay, so every Monday I watch the Holiday British Bake Off and it is awesome! It’s basically the only good part of my Monday and I totally recommend it to everyone. So this past week they made a yule log and I was so inspired! I always see it online and in commercials and stuff, but never actually tried to make it, but I finally did, and it came out amazing! I was so impressed and thanks to the help of my cousins, it didn’t completely fall apart like we were scared it would. We managed to cover all the cracks from when we rolled it with the frosting on the outside (which is the best chocolate frosting I’ve ever had). So fun to make!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
MOCHA CREAM FILLING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
MOCHA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture until blended.
- Beat egg whites on medium until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a fourth into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes; invert onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Peel off parchment paper. Roll up in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and coffee granules. Beat until stiff peaks form; chill. Unroll cooled cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place on serving platter; chill.
- In a large bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Frost cake. Using a fork, make lines resembling tree bark.